If you witness a hazardous material spill, evacuate the site and calmly warn others to stay away. Call 911 if you believe the spill may be life threatening. If you can determine that the spill is not life threatening, follow the procedures outlined below.
If you are a campus hazardous material user, you should already be trained by your supervisor on proper use and storage of hazardous materials. This training should include hazard information, proper procedures for preventing spills and emergency procedures when a spill happens.
If you spill a hazardous material or materials:
- Leave the area and proceed to a safe location nearby. Assess if you have the proper training and protective gear to clean up the spill.
- If you can clean up the spill, follow proper procedures and use proper personal protection. Manage the generated waste as appropriate. Consult your supervisor if necessary.
- Isolate the spill area to keep everyone away, and post signs as necessary.
If you require assistance to clean up the spill:
- During normal business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays) you can call Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) directly at 209-228-7864.
- After hours or weekends, call UC Merced Police Department at 209-228-2677 (CAT-COPS) or 911.
If you suspect or witness a release of a material hazardous to the environment (air, water, ground) call UC Merced Police Department.